« Home | Picture Cube » | man eating plant? » | How unkind is this? » | Bahasa Homework » | Mathmatics Homework » | Jesus, Lord God Almighty. » | Three Beautiful Cherubs » | In her little world, so glorious and bright. » | My parents 'wants' for me, now, and in the future. » | Reflection on eLearning »

Words for dinner

We have a competition happening in grade three,
It's a wonderful challenge to speak English properly.
I'm eager to try, to do my very best,
to search out words, but it's quite a test.
My mother, she attaches words to the wall
it doesn't matter to her, big or small.
She sticks them on and encourages me to read,
then to learn them and in my memory heed
Then she invites me to use these words in my quest,
the one where I'm trying to speak English the best.
Hooray! I think, how easy this will be,
just to use the words that she's provided for me.
But wait ..... it's not as simple as that,
she takes my hand and at the table I'm sat.
In front of my eyes arrives a book so thick,
I glance at it's title and start to feel sick.
Within this book that starts with 'D',
the meanings I must find from A - Z.
I complain and say "It's just not fair,
this will take all night, don't you care?"
After what seems like ages, I'm given a drink.
But I can't relax, all I can do is think.
I decide instead to get something to eat,
so off I go, back to my seat.
What's for dinner? I can't wait to see,
but when I look down at my plate, only words stare back at me.
I love this competition, it's helping me to improve,
but when will these words cease to be my food?
I say to my mother " that's enough for today",
she answers and says "rest you may".
I crawl into bed, all snug and tight,
But these words in my head don't know it's night.
They float around in my head, depriving me of sleep,
until into slumber, I finally seep.
Everything is wonderful, no more is said,
I'm finally free from those words in my head.